- This event has passed.
Living Empowered! Supported Decision-Making: An Alternative to Guardianship
November 19, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 amfree
The right to direct and control one’s own life is a fundamental right for EVERYONE — including people with disabilities, chronic illness and older adults. Just like everyone else, these individuals may need assistance in making decisions. Indiana has many tools that can help such as Supported Decision-Making, a promising alternative to guardianship.
Through Supported Decision-Making, the individual is the decision maker and receives support from one or more persons selected by the individual to explain issues in a manner they can understand. This process maximizes the independence, safety, and happiness of the individual without unnecessarily restricting their rights and ability to control their life.
Attend this educational session to learn how Supported Decision-Making:
- Preserves civil (legal) rights of the individual;
- Allows the individual to always be in control and at the center of decision-making;
- Is flexible to a person’s changing needs;
- Strengthens decision-making abilities and allows for dignity of risk;
- Leads to greater self-determination resulting in increased quality of life.
Choose to attend the event onsite or view the event via a live stream. Both options are FREE. Space is limited, so you must register to attend or view the event!
Project Lead the Way
3939 Priority Way South
Indianapolis, IN 46240